top of page
stamp duty claim

Stamp Duty Refunds

If you bought a property and either you were a first-time buyer, or it was a second home, you may have paid too much Stamp duty land tax (SDLT). Start the process to get a stamp duty refund today. No Win, No Fee


About Stamp Duty Refunds

You may have overpaid thousands of pounds in Stamp Duty if you’ve purchased a property within the past 4 years.

Stamp duty land tax (SDLT) is a huge part of the property buying process and one of the biggest transaction costs home buyers will have to pay. However, some buyers may have overpaid or qualify for an exemption in retrospect, which means they may be eligible for a stamp duty refund.

How much you pay will depend upon the value of the property, whether or not you are a first-time buyer and whether you bought a second home. If you are a first-time buyer, you shouldn't pay stamp duty on the first £425,00. If you are buying a second home, you generally have to pay around another 3%. However, it is never quite that simple. There are a few caveats to these rules. For example, if you sell your first home within 3 years of buying the second, or you purchase a home that is uninhabitable, you may get a stamp duty refund.

All claims are no win, no fee. Don’t miss out on £1,000’s in compensation you could be entitled to.

SDLT lawyers

Legal Experts

A legal expert will look at your situation and tell you if they think you have a case.

claim a refund

Simple Process

Making a claim is simple. With just a few details you can start the process.

Stamp Duty

No Win, No Fee

You are only charged after the claim has been won and you have your compensation!

Second Home Stamp Duty

We assist clients who have purchased second homes or have property portfolios because they pay a higher rate of stamp duty. 

No matter what you plan to do with your additional property – whether that’s as a buy-to-let investment or as another residence – it is classed as a second home. 

For these second properties, there are a few exemptions which may reduce your stamp duty. These can include uninhabitable properties or selling your first home.  It can also be on ‘moveable’ dwellings such as motorhomes, houseboats or caravans – or on freehold properties that have been purchased for under £40,000.

Although there are many different circumstances that HMRC considers when it comes to cases of overpayment, we put you in touch with an expert team are specialists when it comes to dwellings with multiple issues. 

You could have paid significantly more than you should have for an ‘uninhabitable’ property. 

What actually makes a property uninhabitable as far as SDLT is concerned? Don't worry, we can help with that.

If you think this may apply to you, we may be able to help you claim back £1000's. Check to see if you qualify.

SDLR claim

Free Expert Advice

It doesn't cost you anything to have your case looked at by legal professionals


Quick And Easy

As soon as you send the required documents, a legal experts can tell you whether you have a case

refund money

Compensation to be Transferred

After a claim is successful, the compensation is transferred straight to you.

Second Home
First Time Buyer

First Home Stamp Duty

For every home buyer, how much you’re expected to pay is determined by the price of the dwelling – with different thresholds leading to higher or lower surcharges. As a rule, the rates of stamp duty are based on where your purchase falls within HMRC’s ‘Stamp Duty Tax Bands’.

However, as a first time buyer, your thresholds are different, and you should be paying less. If you overpaid for this reason, we can help

It’s important to note that Stamp Duty Land Tax reliefs are available to those who meet certain criteria, such as those buying a house for the first time. 

If you think this may apply to you, we may be able to help you claim back £1000's. Check to see if you qualify.


How long can I claim after purchasing a property?

HMRC won’t accept stamp duty rebate claims for property purchases that took place more than 4 years ago.

If I think the property was "uninhabitable", what qualifies as a defect?

We can advance claims based on the following (non-exhaustive list of) defects:

Defective Heating System


Unsafe Electrics




Structural Issue


Non-operational Bathroom or Kitchen






Severe Roof Leaks

If you purchased a residential property which suffered from any of the above, or similar defects, you might be eligible for a stamp duty rebate.

bottom of page